28 November 2012

Volare

v. to fly (Italian/Latin)

Last week Scott got some stuck CDs out of the Disco for the first time in maybe 2 years. The magazine was being held hostage by the changer and the player wouldn't recognize or play the CDs. ;.(

Here is what we found in there:
  • Legend - the best of Bob Marley, disc one
  • The Beatles LOVE
  • 50 First Dates soundtrack
  • My beloved Gipsy Kings Greatest Hits CD
Sadly/surprisingly enough we didn't find my Santana CD. ;.(

Now back in 2004 I fell in love with spanish music and dancing and food after a week in Miami.  I dragged my husband and friends to ballroom dancing where we learned many dance steps that none of us have probably used since then (except for when I was doing Zumba).

A few months later, my good friend Bob gave me the Gipsy Kings CD, and while I didn't understand most of the words being sung, I was moved by a couple of the songs on the CD. Specifically Volare. It was such an uplifting song and I found it hard to sit still while listening to it.  

This week I was reunited with it and I have listened to at least 17 times in the past 2 days! (And several more times while translating it this evening!)

I didn't know exactly what it was about the song that moved me - probably the passion in the singers' voices, but tonight I know. I did some research like I did with other songs that have touched my soul. (La Mer, Usuahay) and here's what I found.

"Volare" was originally called ""Nel blu dipinto di blu" (English: In the Blue, Painted Blue) and was written and sung by Italian singer-songwriter Domenico Modugno in 1958. 

The Gipsy Kings really do this song right...and they were cool enough to leave the chorus in Italian.


Volare (Fly)


Pienso que un sueno parecido no volvera mas (I think, that a similar dream will not return)

Y me pintaba las manos y la cara de azul (I was painting my hands and face blue)
Y me improviso el viento rapido me llevo (and suddenly  fast winds lifted me up)
Y me hizo a volar en el cielo infinito (and made me fly in the infinite sky)

Volare, oh oh (Flying, oh, oh!)
Cantare, oh oh oh oh (Singing, oh, oh, oh, oh!)
Nel blu dipinto di blu (In blue, painted of blue)
Felice di stare lassu (I'm happy to be up there)

Y volando, volando feliz  (And flying, happily flying)
Yo me encuentro mas alto (I found myself higher)
Mas alto que el sol (higher than the sun)
Y mienstras que el mundo (and while the world)
Se aleja despacio de mi  (moved slowly away from me)
Una musica dulce Se ha tocada solo para mi (A sweet music was playing just for me)


Volare, oh oh (Flying, oh, oh!)
Cantare, oh oh oh oh (Singing, oh, oh, oh, oh!)
Nel blu dipinto di blu (In blue, painted of blue)
Felice di stare lassu (I'm happy to be up there)


This song made my heart soar before I knew the words. It also made me want a Chambord margarita by the pool. Please give it a listen and let your heart soar!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear back from my readership (all 2 of you) so please don't be afraid to say "hi" or comment!