23 September 2011

Shrooms

Between Kim's Pasta Fit for a King post last month on a little lunch and Alice's Marsala Mushroom Sauce over Beer Braised Beef on Savory Sweet Life, I've been salivating over mushrooms lately. I was away from home camping last week and only got to cook quesadillas during that time away. I usually make something yummy like Chicken Curry or Lumpia...I missed home cooking.

Using both of these dishes as inspiration, I made my own mushroomy concoction. I cooked chicken breast chunks in olive oil, onions and garlic, then added lots of mushrooms and thyme and a nice glug of red wine (and some for me). I let that mixture simmer a bit and then added a little bit of cornstarch to thicken the sauce into gravy. I also made buttermilk mashed potatoes (with the skins left on) and roasted some sweet corn on the cob (for Emi).

We added a green salad with vinaigrette and it was a yummy meal. Lucky for me and Scott, there were leftovers!

Scott and David both thought this was beef - I think the wine and mushrooms made it heartier or something...

A comfort food...the buttermilk gives the potatoes a creamy tanginess (tangy creaminess?)

The potatoes are smothered with the chicken & shrooms...
Scott and I enjoyed our meals with a glass of the wine used in the chicken and mushroom sauce, Green Truck Wines' 2009 Mendocino County Petite Sirah.


Of course I still have Smitten Kitchen's Roasted Tomato Soup with Broiled Cheddar on the "To Try" lists for this Autumn. It combines my son's favorite dinner into one dish. He always asks for Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup, nevermind that it might be 106 degrees outside. Lucky for him, the season for soups is upon us. Note: If I were a good mom, I'd have made this for his birthday dinner *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear back from my readership (all 2 of you) so please don't be afraid to say "hi" or comment!