28 May 2018

My Happy Plate

I saw this video on FaceBook the other day and knew I had to try this recipe out very soon. I spent the first decade of my life in South Florida and I go back occasionally but I had never experienced a toston burger! I needed to find out soon if this would work for my family.




I fried the plantains the first time just like the video but I did not have the confidence to smash the fried plantains lengthwise, so I smashed them widthwise (with a small frying pan).  I only seasoned them with salt. Verdict: I think the "buns" came out nicely although I would smash them a bit more in the future.

Plantain Buns

I cooked the burgers with salt and onion powder and for the mayo, I used fresh cilantro from the yard and some dried cube mayo from the pantry. I liked it but I think it would be even better with some lime squeezed in.

Cilantro Mayo
Cilantro Mayo

I shredded some pepper jack cheese and sliced roma tomatoes to make the sandwiches. If my avocado had been ready, I'd have sliced some up for this meal.

Plantain Burger with Pepper Jack, Tomatoes and Cilantro Mayo
Picture fail! (this was the best of them)

Scott, David, Aubri and I really liked the plantain buns. Emi was out with friends, so she didn't get a taste. The plantains made the burgers more filling than a traditional burger, and that is a bonus when trying to eat healthier.  I used chipotle mayo also and that was delish!

I wouldn't change much about the bun, just make them a smidge thinner, but there are some things I will tweak for the next time I make this meal:

  • bigger burgers fried with garlic
  • sliders with the buns cut in half
  • soak the flattened plantain in garlic water before frying the second time (oh my, yes!)
  • pulled pork option
  • squeeze lime into cilantro mayo or add cilantro and lime into my chipotle mayo  (or both!)
  • lettuce
  • avocado

2 comments:

  1. I love your innovative adaptations, Nolita. (A garlic water soak? Yes, ma'am!) Everything on your Happy Plate sounds flavorful. I'm a fan of "Just Mayo" too (their chipotle version especially.) Hope your reliable taste testers arrive home safely soon, although it sounds like you're doing well and trusting your instincts in the meantime! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim! Some things you just KNOW are going to taste delicious! The garlic water soak for a minute in between fryings is something I found in another video for toston burgers while I was composing the post. #mondaymorningquarterbacking #hindsight20/20

      Delete

I would love to hear back from my readership (all 2 of you) so please don't be afraid to say "hi" or comment!