31 March 2018

Recovery (Part 1)

When my mom was in town in February for my nephew's wedding, we found a rich plum upholstery fabric on sale at the fabric store and I vowed to finally recover my college couch that has taken up residence in the sun room for the past few years. I bought that couch in 1992 and it's been through 6 moves. I took countless naps on that sweet striped couch, see?

IMG_20180421_0001
Caught napping in 1995...
I got the couch because it was so functional - it has a twin bed and a cedar storage area under the removable ottoman.  This is why I've never let her go!
I started this project with the ottoman so that l could feel a quick sense of accomplishment about the project.

Reupholstering

There were only 4 small feet to unscrew and less than 50 staples to remove. No biggie. I wrapped that puppy up like a Christmas present and stapled it done in no time. That was on March 22nd and I did feel a sense of accomplishment.

IMG_20180325_1639304

Soon after this, we moved the rest of the couch into the Living Room and removed the twin mattress, cushions and cute little round feet.  I vacuumed out the inner workings and then spent many evenings removing hundreds of staples, fabric and foam from the "good bones" couch. I kept some of the hardware to reuse.

IMG_20180330_2221160
I did not reuse the 2 handy upholstery tack strips on the side of the couch.

IMG_20180331_2131192
"Old Yeller" Foam

Staple Removal Complete
Almost Stripped

Next part >>>>





No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear back from my readership (all 2 of you) so please don't be afraid to say "hi" or comment!