22 May 2018

Derby Party Reflections

This year I added a few new items to the decor:

My Twinspiration
My interpretation of the "Twin Spires" was an interim solution decoration

I have been wanting to creating something Twin Spires(ish) for a couple of years and I ran out of time before the party to papier mache anything. I was considering hanging a white tablecloth between 2 fenceposts and painting the top to look like spires. I was sold on this idea when I made my last trip to Walmart and found these pretty lanterns. I looked around for something conical to put on top when I remembered that we had a few random plastic cones in the sunroom.

Twinspiration

These made do and I will be able to use the lanterns after the party. I also planted the knock out roses in my back yard the day after the party. I still plan to do a bigger and more accurate representation of the Twin Spires next time.

Bourbon Crate for Hand Towels
A bourbon crate hand towel holder
I saw a bourbon crate idea online for hand towels and while I found plain wooden crates everywhere to recreate the look, I wanted something authentic, so we looked around when we picked up the alcohol. We weren't willing to buy the really expensive stuff in crates and behind the checkout counter we noticed empty crates for decoration up high. I asked the owner about purchasing the Knob Creek crate and she climbed up to retrieve it and just gave it to me.

#raisedinOklahoma
yay!
And I found a soap pump that fits perfectly the small bottles of bourbon!

Bourbon Bath Decor


Horsing Around
That horse picture my mom gave me and a race horse banner.

Food Table

I found these cute little chocolate hats by bedre at my local grocery store so you can bet your hat these guys were on the table near the desserts.

chocolate hats

Things to do at a future derby party:
  • Racing Silk/Bourbon/Mint Julep Wreath
  • Post party program and betting guidelines
  • Get pictures of the winners with prizes
  • Separate boxes for hat and bow tie votes
  • Jockey hat decoration
  • Name tags? (with contender's name on guests' backs?)
  • Labels for food and drinks
  • Bring back the hay bale couch
  • Horseshoes game or giant Jenga
  • Community painting

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear back from my readership (all 2 of you) so please don't be afraid to say "hi" or comment!