25 April 2018

Recovery (Part 3)

My original couch had 2 cushions with removable covers but I decided to make 1 ginormous cushion and forego the option of removal. I kludged together a couch cushion with the foam that I had left over, and wrapped it in cotton batting before starting the process of hand sewing the seams. 

IMG_20180421_1153082



I wish I had purchased the upholstery needles that I was eyeing when I was at Joann's for the 3rd time, but I was too proud, thinking I could just use the needles I've had in my sewing basket for so many years. I was right, but I could have gotten the job done less painfully with the curved needle.

I took major liberties with how I stitched together this cover.  Luckily the thread matched the fabric perfectly because my stitch work looks a bit Frankensteinish... It was challenging to do this work by hand because the lighting was dim, threading the needle every so often required me to use my readers and sometimes the angle and the thickness of the fabric caused me to stab my fingertips. If I ever upholster anything else again, I will take extra precautions.

IMG_20180425_1416191

I am really happy with how it turned out, but mostly I am glad it is OVER. I do not have plans to open up a side reupholstering business, but I do have a peeling bonded leather chair in the office that might become a project...

IMG_20180425_1442505

Reupholstering this couch helped me to cross of something off of my Living List AND get more purple into my life. Love it!

I recall spending about $185 for the couch back then and I spent about that much in materials to give her a new life.

IMG_20180421_0001
Caught napping in 1995...
CIMG0893 copy
Fake Napping in 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear back from my readership (all 2 of you) so please don't be afraid to say "hi" or comment!