15 May 2024

Burrito Prep

I have been trying to prepare myself for the increased demand for food at home, and wanting something healthy(er than Taco Bell) for quick meals and I happened upon a video for preparing high protein cheesy chicken and rice burritos in the crockpot. I am DOWN for that! I didn't have every single ingredient on hand so I had to make substitutions, but the family LOVED them. We ate them for dinner AND have a few in the freezer ready to pop into the microwave when hunger hits. I WILL be making more of these soon.

 The recipe makes 18 burritos with 32g protein and 12g fat.

Toss the following into the crockpot on high for 2-3 hours, then quick shred the chicken.

  • 48 oz boneless skinless chicken thighs
  • 2 taco season packets
  • 1 tbsp lime juice (subbed lemon)
  • 1 tbsp chick bouillon
  • 15 oz can green enchilada sauce  (I only had red on hand even though I prefer green)
  • garlic and salt to taste

Next, toss in rice (2 bags of rightrice) and water and cook for 20 min or until rice is cooked. I used organic brown rice, so it had to cook a bit longer. (Next time I will opt to have the brown rice pre-cooked). Add diced tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro, lime juice and shredded cheese.


Add the filling to the tortilla, like so, and roll, roll, roll...


I wrapped my finished burrito in deli paper and then in aluminum foil before placing into freezer bags. These are delicious topped with salsa macha. I like to heat mine up and pan fry them for a quick meal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear back from my readership (all 2 of you) so please don't be afraid to say "hi" or comment!