03 December 2009


So I totally glossed over the Thanksgiving holiday. It's because the weekend that followed Thanksgiving was Notso Great. Actually it was just mostly Sunday that sucked....and I will get to that in a minute.

Thanksgiving was very nice.

Tuesday Night: Scott and I opened up a bottle of red wine and we: painted the freshly texturized Sun Room walls, shampooed the Living/Lounge carpet, laundered the tablecloths, mopped the floors and wiped down all flat surfaces. The place looked good and cared for...(for once) and Emi had a night of debauchery at her Grandma Babe's house.

On Thanksgiving Eve we: took a load of stuff to the Tip (Dump, Transfer Station), purchased extra white plates (more plates, not more white) from the Salvation Army Store (and scored some pants for the kidro), grocery shopped, picked up the Disco from the shop and managed to not make it to the liquor store before it closed. ;.( The Disco had received another left rear axle and yet it still squeaked on the way home (Aaaiiiieeeee!). Emi and I baked Lemon Zesters and Pumpkin Swirl Brownies that evening and prepped the veggies for roasting and Scott saw Ninja Assassin with his best friend. Girls Night In!

Thanksgiving Day: Scott's family came over and we had dinner potluck style. I wasn't responsible for the turkey so I was relieved. Yet I made gravy which was very labor intensive considering I had to roast turkey parts to get the "brown bits" for the authentic flavor (with love, of course). I made mashed potatoes (yum!) with lots of help peeling from Scott and Christy; and I roasted veggies (cauliflower, brussels sprouts, butternut squash, and asparagus) and punted the corn casserole.

Friday was hard for me because I had to schlep in to work. I guess I could have taken the day off, but then I'd be 8 hrs lighter in the Leave Area and I would have had to clean up the mess that was my home. A quiet day at the office it was. That evening we worked on detangling Emi's hair in preparation for an appointment with a local braider. I was having a hard time with combing out her hair because my CPS flared up with the Weekend Warrior projects we'd taken on as of late. Rat tail comb in hand for an hour combing out the dredded braids (only had 4 left at the time) made my right hand numb and tingling so Scott and Emi helped me out. [We will be SO, SO, SO happy when Emi can do this feat on her own....]

Saturday was even harder because I thought it would take "just a minute" to comb out the little braids that I had worked on for the past 2 weeks but the dreds that we combed out got gnarled already and the little bitty "yarn strand" braids that I had done were taking a lot longer. At one point we just had to leave to get to her appt. The lady was was busy braiding another girl's hair when we got there so we learned a bit about the process. She added synthetic hair to the natural hair in sections, then braided box braids, then she lit the end of the synthetic hair with a lighter to seal it. That part was a little alarming to Emi and me, but she assured us that she was not burning her real hair.

Not wanting to burden this woman with combing out Emi's hair, I stayed for a bit and detangled some, then the woman said it would be better if I left. I was excited for Emi to have a new hairstyle not created from my amateur hands and I left. I had to peel Emi off of me in the process because she wanted me to stay and I promised her a meal at Pop's and that we'd get her Style Lab Jewelry Design for her DS if she was good. An hour later we were on our way to pick her up because she had changed her mind. Her scalp was tender and she wasn't giving the new lady any chance at combing or braiding. Emi has a very strong will so I guess we shouldn't be so surprised.

I was very disappointed because I had high hopes with this hair endeavor. The last time I let anyone attempt to work on her hair didn't end so well...

So we took our girl home thinking we could get her hair combed out and braided into big soft braids enough to get her back to the stylist. That's what we were thinking Saturday afternoon. We decided to give it a day so we could rest and recoup, so Emi went to bed in her satin scarf and we watched Slumdog Millionaire (I know, finally!) and all was good.

The next morning I really got a good look and feel and her hair seemed even more dry and gnarled....(think Buckwheat). I was definitely not up for the task of getting her hair conditioned and styled any time soon. I was upset that the 2 weeks of work I had done was erased and I was way further back in this task than I was 2 weeks ago. I sprayed some leave-in conditioner into the matted mess and sectioned (as best I could) 3 "puffs" of hair into rubber bands. That was as good as it got before she went to see her MeeMaw and PeePaw.

Later that evening, I shampooed her hair and slathered in a blob of the Khoret Amen Hair Smoothie to start loosening the knots. I combed out some tresses in the front and made 4 braids, only wanting to attack this chore in smallish chunks for both of our sakes. It's a slow going process but we got through Sunday (which is a HUGE deal considering the funk I was in). I got a few more braids in the other night and it's looking better and more manageable each day.

I am so thankful that her hair is natural and healthy and growing out. I don't want her to think she has to have straight hair to have "good" hair. I still don't quite understand the adding of synthetic hair to the mix so maybe it was a sign for her to not go through with the braiding the other day. But I truly do understand why I should braid....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear back from my readership (all 2 of you) so please don't be afraid to say "hi" or comment!