08 June 2014

YOLO

About 6 weeks ago I posted some inspirational recipes and that I'd recently gotten a new cook book and was trying to make it through every recipe in the book. Before today, I'd made 3 recipes from the book: 2 roasted garbanzo bean dishes and the sweet potato and black bean enchilada. Now, it's been 4.

The next recipe in the queue was the Yolo. It rhymes with Rolo and is the natural version of this treat. They are vegan and gluten-free and they are yummy!

Making YOLOs



I processed 12 medjool dates, peanut butter and a pinch of sea salt, then rolled them into little balls that were then popped into the freezer.

This part reminded me of when I was a kid and me and my sister would pick apart our Little Debbie brownies and roll the bits into "rabbit poop" before we'd eat them. I know, we were gross, but imaginative.

Peanut Butter Date Balls

I melted some dark chocolate chips with coconut oil (microwave in a glass bowl), dipped the PB-date balls into the chocolate and popped them back into the freezer for 20 minutes.

YOLOs

They were delicious! Everyone ate 2 of them except Emi who is decidedly picky about food these days. She said she didn't like dates. Hmmmm...I will have to remind my boy-crazy little girl about this one day. Speaking of dates, we were able to score a date night Saturday night and we went to see Edge of Tomorrow. Scott had mentioned wanting to see this movie but I was only half paying attention to the preview on TV. I went in to the IMAX theater cold (having never experienced IMAX before). Loved it!

Back to the yolos, Scott liked them but he didn't want to know that they were healthy treats containing dates. Too late. I think he will forgive.

YOLO

And last night I cooked two more recipes from my inspirations post a couple of months ago. The Tandoori Chicken which was not loved by all and the Spelt Flatbread (not pictured, of course!) was a real hit that I will have to make again.

Tandoori Chicken

Friday night was a better dish, a version of Pozole wherein I added frozen corn. It was a bit spicy, but that's not a bad thing.

Pozole and cerveza

The weekend was a good weekend highlighted with lots of glorious rain. I can hardly notice the Sunday Dread.

Hope you had a fabulous weekend too!

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed! Seems like you're always cooking up some tasty dish for your sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa. I try to expand their horizons and taste buds. I am sure we'd have macaroni and cheese more often than not if the kids really had their way. I have to balance out all of the Ray's BBQ we seem to end up having with my folks on Sundays.

      Delete

I would love to hear back from my readership (all 2 of you) so please don't be afraid to say "hi" or comment!