07 October 2018

Filipino Food to Cook this Fall

Recently I heard Amy Besa on Splendid Table discussing native Filipino food and how Filipinos made tamales (bubuto) using rice and banana leaves instead of corn and corn husks. I was very surprised to hear of this because while I knew about some history of the Philippines and have eaten many lumpia rolls and cassava cakes in my lifetime, and I have Besa’s book, but I did not know about the Mexican influences in PI. The first Spanish settlers were Mexicans. Wow! I grow banana trees in my yard, but I have not successfully grown bananas yet. This past summer, my mom’s cousin was at her house gathering her banana leaves in order to make those wonderful rice treats for us. I was intrigued, but not exactly stoked about using my leaves for sweet treats. Now I know I must be making some sweet and savory rice merienda (snacks) with the banana leaves while I can!

Three dishes/methods:
  • adobo – braise with vinegar
  • sinigan – soured broth (citris)
  • kinilaw  - PI version of ceviche

Some recipes:

Cassava Suman (Filipino rice cake (kakanin)) https://panlasangpinoy.com/2013/05/10/cassava-suman-recipe/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear back from my readership (all 2 of you) so please don't be afraid to say "hi" or comment!