05 September 2014

Roasted

A couple of days ago, we grabbed six Hatch Chiles at the store after hearing about the craze on the radio for the past week, and then I quietly forgot about them.  So tonight I decided I better get to roasting these chiles or throw them into the compost pile.

I came across thousands of recipes for Hatch Chiles but my mind was set on Mac and Cheese because it's supposed to cool down tonight with a nice rain and I am feeling like Football Weather comfort food.

So I looked to Ree to help me roast these chiles with no muss, no fuss. I found a cool recipe for mac and cheese with chiles, chicken and black beans but I decided to make this dish sauce with my basic quesadilla fillings: cream cheese, shredded cheddar (or jack), green onion, green chiles, garlic (I used a dab of mayo in the quesadillas but I omitted the mayo for this dish).

While the chiles were roasting, I prepared the basic bechamel sauce.

Ready to go into the oven...

The peppers roasting left a delicious aroma in the house!

Roasted
After I broiled them on all sides, I threw the chiles into a plastic bag to steam for 20 minutes while I cooked the pasta and added the cheeses to the bechamel sauce.

Chopped
Then I added the chopped ingredients into the sauce.

Into the Queso
And mixed in the macaroni.

Yummy Forkful

The chiles were a little spicier than the canned version that we normally have in stock, but it was a good heat. Everyone had seconds and some even had fourths! It was a satisfying meal.

Oh, and we had some rain. A gentle rain that stopped as quickly as it started so it's a little steamy outside right now. I am hoping that we get more rain and cooler temps overnight...

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear back from my readership (all 2 of you) so please don't be afraid to say "hi" or comment!