30 January 2014

Comforting

Last weekend we were watching an episode of DDD that featured Lito's Mexican food's Pork Posole.

The last time I made Pozole was when Emi was a baby. I am not a huge fan of hominy having been forced to eat the bland stuff as a child, but Scott loves hominy so I made pozole that one time. It was good but I never made it again because, like I said, I am not a fan (and I am selfish that way).

So, back to Lito's version, it looked very different than the recipe I used years ago because I did not have all of the additional goodies (toppings) included. It never occurred to me to include such goodies with this stew like we do with pho.

DDD did not post the exact recipe so I used Elise's recipe as a guide. I cut pork steaks that were priced to move and boiled the cubed meat (didn't fry like Elise did but that does sound yummy) along with the bones and onion for a little over an hour.

I didn't want to mess with the steps to rehydrate the peppers and blend so instead I added in a can of El Pato Jalapeno Sauce (which I love) along with a big can of hominy (drained). Note: Next time I will likely use more hominy (maybe not canned) and more pepper sauce. I was generous with the garlic I added (of course) and I added in a can of roasted diced tomatoes too.

I am also not a fan of radishes. I don't like hominy, beets and radishes as a rule but I am ALWAYS open to trying a new recipe with these ingredients just in case.


Pozole
Everyone in my family ate 2 bowls of this stuff -- very satisfying!


The soup turned out yummy as a base for all of the TOPPINGS which really do make the POZOLE.

Pozole Toppers
Not pictured - Avocado and LOTS of cabbage!

I would totally recommend you make this soup because it makes wonderful leftovers too. I had it 2 days in a row for lunch!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! That looks amazing!!! There's a delicious pork stew that I love at Pepe's and I'm always craving a great Mexican pork stew recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Pepe's!!! Hope you and baby are keeping warm during this cold, cold winter!

      Delete

I would love to hear back from my readership (all 2 of you) so please don't be afraid to say "hi" or comment!