22 November 2011

Thanksgiving Blessings

Scott and I have been looking at the December schedule and brainstorming to come up with daily Advent activities to teach the kids the reason for the season and to make memories and a difference. The activities will be a nice way for us to take a break from the stress that the holiday season can bring. It's been easier than I thought with access to so many kind people and institutions.

One thing I can totally recommend for anyone who is local to Norman is the Downs Family Christmas Light Show - it's a fantastic show and they accept food donations to give to the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma. The shows run from 6-midnight every day from 11.24.11 to 1.1.12.

Also, the Sam Noble Museum of Natural History is having a Holiday Happening on Dec 1st from 6-9pm and they will have holiday-themed crafts, story times, entertainment, etc. Admission is free.

We also want to teach our children to have an Attitude of Gratitude and I think we're on the right path there too (although with Emi having been an only child for 7 years, she might need more opportunities to learn gratitude), I am always open to ideas on how to teach gratitude. And we've been working a lot with flash cards and common words with the Little Ones in an effort to try to get them into full-blown reading so I have been constructing an A to Z listing of things we are thankful for....

i.e. A is for ANIMALS, C is for CARS, F is for FAMILY and FRIENDS, H is for HOODIE, etc

I was researching more ideas on Thankfulness projects and came across a Thanksgiving Blessing Board that looks cute and fairly easy to make. And it will help us to teach the kids (and us) about being grateful and can be a Thanksgiving Tradition (and decoration) for years to come.

How cute is that?

Source: http://whipperberry.com/

It sort of reminds me of another project we completed back in early summer.

I can totally see the cards going into a scrapbook along with pictures to capture the memory of Thanksgiving and what we were all thankful for that year. I have the eye screws, twine and clothespin and I MAY have a frame in the - you guessed it! - basement.

I better get on it!

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear back from my readership (all 2 of you) so please don't be afraid to say "hi" or comment!