24 August 2009

These Are the Terms

Found a sticky note in my purse with some words on it that I wanted to look up many moons ago. I can't recall what I was reading at the time (probably Blindness), but I will post them in case you were curious:

reliquary n. pl. rel·i·quar·ies A receptacle, such as a coffer or shrine, for keeping or displaying sacred relics

palimpsest n. a parchment or the like from which writing has been partially or completely erased to make room for another text.

synecdoche n. A figure of speech in which a part is used for the whole (as hand for sailor), the whole for a part (as the law for police officer), the specific for the general (as cutthroat for assassin), the general for the specific (as thief for pickpocket), or the material for the thing made from it (as steel for sword).

insouciance n. Blithe lack of concern; nonchalance.

And now I can finally throw away that sticky note!

Happy Monday, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear back from my readership (all 2 of you) so please don't be afraid to say "hi" or comment!