07 April 2014

Yardening Goals

We keep having these busy weekends with just enough time to pack in sports and baths and haircuts and laundry and if I'm lucky, some yard work.

I am very pleased to see many things coming back from previous year's efforts. Some peonies that petered out last year or year before are coming back in a few locations in my yard. The ones below (in the background) were from my dividing efforts 2 years ago.

Lamb's Ears

The Lamb's Ears were from last year. Both plants made it. I haven't had luck with Lamb's Ear in many, many years so this is cause for celebration!

And the hosta is from a few years back? I can't even remember now but I am happy, happy, happy to see the shoots coming up under my magnolia tree!

Hosta Coming Back

Back here by the big old Cottonwood behind the swing set is the site of my future berry grove. I have long neglected this area for the past couple of years. My mom and I transferred a ton of lilies and irises here a few years ago and I also planted a Chinese Pistache tree and Ginkgo tree back there, but I've wanted to do more.

West Side

Turns out the birds "helped" me plant some Mulberry trees back there so I started the process of turning the soil and extracting those lovely voluntaries out of my yard and into the Fire Bowl.

Speaking of the Fire Bowl, we got a new camera with some fun features like super slow-mo..check it out.

We picked up two of each of the following bushes to help us in our effort to grow more food in the yard: blueberry, blackberry and raspberry. I am so stoked but I have a little more digging to do before I can plant those plants. I wanted to post a before picture to add to the suspense/anticipation.

And in the East yard I also have my work cut out for me. I have a few Asparagus plants back there and some Monkey Grass that needs to go. I would like to plant my cauliflower, quinoa, chick peas and herbs in this bed so I can monitor progress from the kitchen window. I may plant some veggies in pots on this hardly used porch too. I am trying to get things more established so I can have more stuff come back year after year like the figs and pecans....maybe some ALMONDS this year?

East Yard

I am trying to be reasonable in my goals, but you know how that can go...


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear back from my readership (all 2 of you) so please don't be afraid to say "hi" or comment!